Logic...

Logic is something I'm forcing on myself as an antidote to over a year's worth of reading archaeological reports and speculations concerning Woodhenge and The Sanctuary.

All in all it has thus far been a frustrating experience. I don't seek a definitive answer as to the function or original history of these places; that isn't a problem. What I don't like is the way information is so scattered, mis-quoted, lost or omitted...and so hard to find unless (I assume) one is a bona fide student with access to all the books.

And I'm not nor ever will be...too damned expensive!

The internet folds back on itself (or else it's just Google storing cookies) but I seem to be the only one who remembers the boy in the Woodhenge ditch, so if I ask Google I get referred back to myself.

I don't think I'm that accurate either!

Tomorrow I plan to return to both places to take some standard views of the sites- can you tell that I was trained as a radiographer...probably not...anyway what I mean by that is radiographers always take standard views of a part of a body so that differences in appearance are more easily seen than if a picture was taken from any angle.

My standard views for a timber-circle are:
1/ from the avenue.
2/ N,S,E and west from center, so that distant hills can be seen in relation to center.
3/ a photograph recording the position of any burials.

My problems are:
1/ Woodhenge does not have an avenue as far as I know...
2/ The Cunningtons did not record the location of the boy in the ditch. They dismissed him as belonging to The Iron Age on the basis of the shape of his skull. 

But he seems to have had some kind of genetic syndrome such as Cleidocranial dysplasia, nor am I convinced that you can tell Iron Age from Bronze Age by the shape of a skull...



The evidence for him being Bronze Age- his burial contemporary with the digging of the ditch- is the chalk rubble that covered him...before any silting up of the ditch had taken place.

I feel sorry that no one has marked his grave; I don't see why his remembrance is dependant upon when he lived and died!

Mike Pitts says in Hengeworld (p 132) that the Cunnington's chanced upon him in their east Woodhenge section.

The Cunnington's recorded that he was buried facing east, head to the south, and the grave was length ways with the ditch.

So he must have been placed in the east.


It is a shame but I wont be there to see the moon.
Tomorrow's full moon doesn't rise until eleven pm...but south-east sounds like just the right location to illuminate his grave.


Popular Posts